Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Gmail and BT

Scott Villarosa's Blog included a post on Using Gmail to find downloads on BitTorrent:
I have copied it here:

Microsoft's Outlook 2003 gives users the ability to use Search Folders. Essentially this feature allows users to scan their incoming email using specific criteria they provide. Simply a handy feature without question. I thought I'd borrow from this idea, though, and hook up Gmail to filter out some specific downloads I regularly track on various BitTorrent websites. So here we go.

First, find a few good RSS feeds for BitTorrent downloads. I'm using a feed each from Mininova.org, Rokanova.org, and NewTorrents.info.

Next, go and visit the free RSS-to-email service RssFwd and subscribe to your chosen feed(s).

Lastly, log on to your Gmail account and create the appropriate label(s) and filter(s). For example, create a filter based on items that you usually would search for via these websites and their feeds. The image example I've provided shows a simple filter I set up to search for all instances of musical artists that I like. I then have opted to apply a label titled 'Downloads' to these items when filtered.

Hopefully with this information you can get Gmail really working for you. I mean why bother, for example, searching through literally hundreds of potential download items when Gmail can do all the sorting? And of course you'll hardly run out of storage space either. Joy!

One final step might be to subscribe to your Gmail account's incoming 'Downloads' mail feed in your favourite news aggregator. There are many to choose from.

Very nice article, and this is what should be the inovation of "google" users :-).

1 Comments:

Blogger Abdelhalim said...

You are welcome, I really loved your usage of the available tools combined together :-)

Thu Jul 14, 03:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home